- For over 10 years this ministry of St. Thomas More has provided volunteers each Tuesday evening to serve as the front desk receptionist and to assist the Night Manager with checking in guests.
To assist the Interfaith Council for Social Services by providing trained volunteers on Tuesday evenings to serve as front desk assistants for checking in guests at the new men’s transitional housing plus provide meal monitoring at the community kitchen.
· Tuesday evening ministry. Convenient for those who work in the daytime but who want to give of their time to the less fortunate. 2-3 hours per month.
· No meetings except 1 informational meeting with IFC staff
· All scheduling done via email
· 2 positions per Tuesday evening. Front desk at MLK men’s facility 6-8PM. Meal monitor at Community Kitchen on Rosemary Street 6-7:15PM
· Training done on site by experienced volunteers.
· Front Desk requires answering phones, taking messages, checking guests in electronically and in writing, registering any visitors and maintaining a presence at the desk.
· Meal monitor location at Community Kitchen on Rosemary Street requires controlling line of guests in an orderly manner, checking bags into locked closet, allowing guests into dining area when there is seating available at tables.
There is no meeting associated with this ministry. All scheduling is done via Email. Training is accomplished by working with experienced volunteers and attending an orientation session at the IFC Main Office held once a month. Volunteers average one Tuesday evening shift per month; Front Desk hours at Men’s Transitional Housing are 6 PM to 8PM. Meal monitor at Community Kitchen hours are 6 PM to 7:15PM.
The IFC Men's Shelter is located at 1315 MLK Jr. Blvd, Chapel Hill.
Estimated Time Commitment for Volunteers
Monthly commitments average 3 hours for the receptionist position and 1½ hours for the staff assistant.
Compassion for those less fortunate.
|Activities involved in volunteering for this ministry|
|√||Work can be done alone|
|Work can be done at home|
|Work may involve some strenuous activity|
|Activity is spiritual in nature|
|√||Activity is social in nature|
|Activity involves children or the youth|
|Activity involves teaching|
|√||Appropriate for singles|
|√||Appropriate for married couples|
|√||Appropriate for family members|
|√||Other: Must be 18 or older|