For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me. (Mt 25:35-36)
Mary Ellen McGuire (Pastoral Associate)
The Outreach Committee is joyfully committed to serving those in need in our local community and beyond.
- Rooted in the Eucharist and the STM community, we live out our faith with a “preferential option for the poor”. We pray, act, and serve with love.
- We address poverty through advocacy, education, communication, and innovation while working for a more just, charitable and peaceful society.
- We determine if and how the parish can get involved in local community issues, facilitating the development of new opportunities for parish involvement in community efforts around hunger, homelessness, and other local concerns.
- We collaborate with faith development educators in the parish, providing information and support concerning social justice issues.
- We highlight important local initiatives and reach out to parishioners through various communication avenues, including weekly bulletins, narthex tables, and the parish website.
- We advise the Pastoral Associate about the disbursement of the parish charity budget.
- Began the development of Support Circles for the homeless
- Collected and delivered over 4 tons of food to Interfaith Council (IFC)
- Over 100 letters written for Bread for the World
- Over 200 toiletry kits provided for Project Homeless Connect and the Migrant Workers
- Held 2 successful blood drives giving over 120 pints of blood
- Collected over 750 postcards in support of the IFC men’s residential facility move
- Collected over $6,000 for the CROP Walk for hunger
- Supported Justice United’s work on decreasing Efland sewer costs, day laborer concerns and affordable housing strategy for Chapel Hill
- Sponsor a blood drive twice yearly to keep up the supply of blood to our community
- Participate in the CROP Walk for hunger for Church World Service and InterFaith Council
- Recruit volunteers for all the outreach ministries and support their activities
- Determine the distribution of STM's charity budget to over 30 organizations and agencies that provide for the poor and needy in our community and beyond.
Monthly on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m.
Monthly meetings are held in the Parish Center, St Martin Room. Additional planned activities dictate appropriate meeting/working venues.
Estimated Time Commitment for Volunteers
One 2-hour meeting per month and two to three major, all-day events per year. Typically, each Outreach Committee member is also involved in at least one of the outreach ministries.
None are needed; Members need only an interest in helping those in need.
|Activities involved in volunteering for this ministry
||Work can be done alone
||Work can be done at home
||Work may involve some strenuous activity
||Activity is spiritual in nature
||Activity is social in nature
||Activity involves children or the youth
||Activity involves teaching
||Appropriate for singles
||Appropriate for married couples
||Appropriate for family members